(205) 322-1201 info@gathingslaw.com

When considering divorce, it’s important to understand exactly what all your legal obligations may entail. If there are minor children from the marriage, child support will be addressed.  

Child support is a monthly payment that the non-custodial parent pays to the custodial parent to help cover their children’s living expenses. In Alabama, the monthly amount of child support is determined by statute unless that parties reach a settlement agreement and deviate for cause. To determine the amount of child support to be paid, the following items are considered: the number of children from the marriage, combined gross incomes of the parents, cost of medical insurance for the child(ren), work related daycare costs, court ordered alimony and existing child support payments that are being made from other relationships.

The court normally issues an Income Withholding Order (IWO) to the employer of the non-custodial parent which causes the child support payments to be taken directly from the parent’s paycheck and forwarded to the State.  The State will then forward the child support payment to the custodial parent monthly.

If you have any questions about child support and/or divorce, call Gathings Law. We’re here to fight for you and your child’s best interests. We have decades of experience handling divorce and custody cases and we’re ready to put our expertise to work for you.

As a reminder, on our weekly series, #GathingsLawTalk , Gathings Law discusses different legal points of interest on social media. Follow @GathingsLaw on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. For all things business, follow our business series, #GathingsLawBizTalk, on LinkedIn.