A car accident is one of the most common ways people get brought into the legal arena. Every year more than 120,000 car and truck accidents happen in the state of Alabama. That’s more than 13 every hour of every day. And every 13 minutes, someone is injured in one of those accidents.
It can be a scary time, even if you are involved in what seems like a minor crash. Your most important priority is obviously to make sure everyone is safe but we put together a list of other things that you might not think about in the moments after the crash.
If you are in an accident, there are several important steps to take on the scene and soon after the accident. Here are a few of the steps:
- Stay calm and make sure everyone is safe. If anyone is injured, call 911 right away.
- Check for damage to your car and any other car involved in the accident.
- Take pictures of the damage and of the scene. Take pictures of the license plates so you don’t forget the information.
- Take notes. Record information about what happened ans what the conditions were while it is still fresh in your mind. Write down the other license plates and descriptions of the automobiles.
- Get information from witnesses. Get the names and contact information for anyone that saw the auto accident.
- Contact your insurance company.
- Keep track of any money you have to spend out-of-pocket and keep track of everything you had to do related to the accident.
- Don’t automatically agree to anything insurance companies tell you. You don’t have to accept their first offer for damages.
- If you have any trouble, contact us and hear how we can help you.